Windows 7 to play nice with all decoders

One of the biggest complaint that Windows users have had when it comes to dealing with video media files is the insane requirement to download all the other codeces that one needs to watch non-Windows formats. In many cases this lead people to download the first codec package that they could find with a Google search. The problem with this approach is that many of these packages came with extra baggage in the way of trojans or viruses. There were some safe and reliable codec packages out there but they were hard to find if you didn’t know exactly what you were looking for.

Well according to Long Zhend over at his istartedsomething.com blog this will drastically change for the better with the release of Windows 7. Not only will they be expanding the range of codecs used for decoding video files that will be doing the same to encoders as well.

On the decoder front we will see baked in support for DivX, Xvid, H.264 and AAC which you can see from the graphic that Long managed to snag at WinHEC

On the flip side we have the encoder support coming to Windows 7 as you can see from the graphics

Now the only wish that I have remaining for the media player that will be using these codec is  that it gets put on a massive diet because it has become one of the most bloated Windows application around.

APC has a report on this as well that is worth having a quick read theough if you are interested in this new addition coming to Windows 7.

Related articles by Zemanta

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

19 Comments

1. 15/11/08 at 12:03

It's just getting better and better. You can really sense a more “open” approach in their strategy. Less bullying of their own customers. Yea!

2. 15/11/08 at 12:03

3. 15/11/08 at 12:15

ahyup, the more and more I read and hear about W7 the more I am really looking forward to giving it a run through. This could be the first time I won't have any qualms about playing with a beta release of Windows considering all the good words coming out from people that are just using the PDC/WinHEC releases.

4. 15/11/08 at 12:15

5. 15/11/08 at 14:24

what movie was that or who was that lady in the video of the front page?

6. 15/11/08 at 14:24

what movie was that or who was that lady in the video of the front page?

7. 15/11/08 at 15:14

no idea as I found it via Live.com image search

8. 15/11/08 at 15:14

no idea as I found it via Live.com image search

9. 16/11/08 at 21:24

“Now the only wish that I have remaining for the media player that will be using these codec is that it gets put on a massive diet because it has become one of the most bloated Windows application around.”

From that I take it that you haven't used Windows Media player 12 yet?

I think you'll be happy to find they have very much slimmed it down. Actually that's not entirely true… all of the same features are there however the UI has been streamlined and most significantly WMP12 functions essentially as two applications.

There is a light 'VLC' version which launches when you directly play media files from Explorer. This is fast and means I now never have to download VLC again. From here you can then launch into the main media player library if you wish. It seems a lot faster than before, but to be honest I never fund WMP11 too bad… I mean compare it to itunes? That thing is almost unusable with my 5000 song library.

WMP is still kind of the odd one out now though and I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually only contain the light version and remove the media management features… after all Windows Media Center and the Zune software are both Microsoft's main focus now and provide a significantly better media management experience than media player.

In response to your comment below… it's a great beta and I've been using it as my main OS now for a couple weeks with very few problems at all. The kinds of bugs you'll encounter are primarily usability bugs within Explorer – especially with search and libraries, but not so much as to be unusable by any means. The only stability problems I have had where caused by IE8…

To give you an idea of the improvements Windows 7 is actually giving me double the battery life I was getting previously… from barely 1 and a half hours with Vista power saver to nearly 3 hours Windows 7 power saver. It's also far more responsive using power saver than Vista.

Also with Windows Vista having something like an IM client auto-load on launch would take over a minute from logging in… in Windows 7 its down to about 15-20 seconds which I think is quite amazing.

10. 16/11/08 at 21:24

From that I take it that you haven't used Windows Media player 12 yet?

11. 16/11/08 at 23:18

Adondai,

No I haven't had the chance to play with Windows Media player 12 yet but if it is anything like what you outline in your comment I am looking really forward to it. Not to mention all your teasing about Win7 I can hardly wait to get my hands on a legit copy to work with.

12. 16/11/08 at 23:18

Adondai,

13. 17/11/08 at 4:25

Hah… well if legit isn't a neccessity than I'm sure you can bittorrent with the best of them =P

I would never pirate a final version of Windows, but for a beta I was just interested to test it.

14. 17/11/08 at 4:25

15. 18/11/08 at 5:22

But still no OGG support, even once its finalized. Seriously?

16. 18/11/08 at 5:22

But still no OGG support, even once its finalized. Seriously?

17. 18/11/08 at 12:15

Jake I definitely agree that it would be nice for native OGG support but it is min much the same place that DivX was for years. At this point it really is a niche player in the audio/video format area. Granted it is a superior format – although most of my experience is with audio – than even MP3 but that doesn't guarantee popularity enough to be included as a native format.

18. 18/11/08 at 12:15

19. 25/06/09 at 11:34

even once its finalized. Seriously?